Mahaabhaarat | Kathaa | 1-Beginning
|Aadi Parv 68-132|
|Kathaa - 1-Beginning|
Sambhaav Parv Continues
1. Beginning of Mahaabharat - The beginning of Mahaabhaarat, Raajaa Bharat gives his kingdom to a man from public instead of his nine sons.
2. Shaantanu and Gangaa - Shaantanu meets Gangaa on the banks of Gangaa River, he marries her and she kills his seven sons one by one. When she is about to kill his eighth son, Shaantanu cannot resist and breaks his promise of not to ask anything. Gangaa replies and goes away with the son. Shaantanu finds two children lying under a tree, he names them Kripaa and Kripee.
3. Shaantanu and Devavrat-1 - Gangaa brings Devavrat back, hands over to Shaantanu and goes away.
4. Shaantanu and Satyavatee-1 - Shaantanu meets Satyavatee, proposes for marriage, but her father declines because he believed that Satyavatee's children are going to rule, while Shaantanu had already declared Devavrat as Crown Prince. Devavrat takes a vow to Daashraaj to remain unmarried and childless lifelong and takes Satyavatee as his mother. Devtaa name him as Bheeshm because of his Bheeshm (difficult) vow and his father gives him Var of Ichchhaa Mrityu for his sacrifice.
5. Shantanu and Satyavatee-2 - Satyavatee does get married to Shaantanu, but is not satisfied with it. She always thinks that Bheeshm's sacrifice is much higher than her pleasures. Shantanu consoles her in many ways but she is too sad. Raaj Guru sees the empty seat of the Crown Prince and questions him. Bheeshm takes other vows. Satyavatee gets two sons - Chitraangad and Vichitraveerya. Shantanu dies leaving them young. When they got adult, Bheeshm coronated Chitraangad, but he was killed in a fight with a Gandharv. Then Vichitraveerya was coronated as the king of Hastinaapur.
6. Bheeshm and Ambaa - Bheeshm brings three princes of Kaashee for Vichitraveerya - Ambaa, Ambikaa and Ambaalikaa. Ambaa doesn't accept Vichitraveerya, nor Shaalv king accepts her, so feeling insulted she wants to marry Bheeshm, but Bheeshm can't marry so she gives him Shaap that even if she will have to take several births, she will be the cause of his death.
7. Ambaa's Thirst for Revenge - After the insult at Vichitraveerya's court, Ambaa wanders around in searvch of such a Rishi who can help her in getting revenge from Bheeshm. She goes to her grandfather, then to Parashuraam, but to no avail. Then she herself does a severe Tap for Kaartikeya and Shiv, and pleased with her Tap they help her. She is born in Drupad's house as Shikhandee to be the cause of death of Bheeshm.
8. Vichitraveerya's Children-1 - Vichitraveerya lives for a while. then dies childless. Satyavatee worries for the heir of the throne, she requests Bheeshm to marry the widows but he refuses. She calls Ved Vyaas then. Vyaas tells him that he will obey her because she is his mother and tells the story of his birth.
9. Vichitraveerya's Children-2 - Vyaas comes to Hastinaapur, Satyavatee requests him to produce children from Ambikaa and Ambaalikaa, he obeys her and produces three children - Dhritraashtra, Paandu and Vidur.
10. Hastinaapur Gets King - Satyavatee declares Paandu as king of Hastinaapur. Bheeshm marries Dhritraastra to Gaandharee, and Paandu to Kuntee.
11. Kuntee Before Marriage - Kuntee, the daughter of Shoorsen and Krishn's Buaa, was brought up by Kuntibhoj. She bags a Mantra from Durvaasaa and uses it innocently for Soorya Dev. He gives her a son, Karn. Kuntee flows him in Gangaa River because of the fear of the society.
12. Paandu Marries Maadree - Paandu goes on victory tour and wins Madra Desh and Madra's king marries his sister to Paandu. Paandu is sent for rest, and he makes Dhritraashtra in-charge of the kingdom. One day Maadree requests for a lion so Paandu hunts for it. He shot a Shabd-Vedhee arrow at it but unfortunately it hit Kindam Rishi and his wife's chests and they died. Rishi gave Shaap to Paandu that he will also die when he will be with his wife, thus he will not be able to have children.
13. Paandu Goes for Praayashchit and Gets Children - Paandu tells all this to all, and prescribes exile for his Praayashchit for Brahm Hatyaa. He appoints Dhritraashtra as his representative and goes to forest with his wives. Paandu started passing time in Jap Tap etc. One day he recalled that without paying Brahm Rin he cannot get Mukti, so he got worried, because that was Kindam Rishi's Shaap. When Kuntee knew it, she used her Durvaasaa's Mantra and got two children - Yudhishthir and Bheem.
14. Paandu Dies - After that Gaandhaaree also gave birth to Duryodhan. After two sons Paandu gets three children more - Arjun, and Nakul and Sahadev. One day he is attracted to Maadree so much that he could not stop himself and indulged himself in taking her in spite of warned by Maadree. He died immediately as per the Shaap of the Muni Kindam. Maadree became Satee with him. Kuntee returns to Hastinaapur with her five sons.
15. Satyavatee Leaves Hastinaapur - Satyavatee is broke with the grief of the death of her grandson and the king of Hastinaapur Paandu. Muni Vyaas comes to Hastinaapur and takes her to forest along with Ambikaa and Ambaalikaa.
Created by Sushma Gupta On 03/09/02
Modified on 11/20/10